Gmail is a free email administration given by Google. Gmail is the most utilized webmail webpage with 4.03 billion dynamic clients worldwide starting at 2019. It additionally upholds utilization of Email customers through POP and IMAP conventions. Gmail was created by Paul Buchheit and launched in April 1, 2004. As per its needs, for the users convenience and increasing global needs, the site works in 75 different languages. Users access Gmail through web browser or the mobile app version of it. It has search arranged interface. It additionally has a discussion see like a web gathering.
After its launch, the storage capacity provided to per user was 1 gigabyte which seemed implausible to people back then. But with growing storage capacity needs, the company decided to give users 2 gigabytes on its first anniversary which increased from 7.5 gigabytes to 10 gigabytes in 2012 which further increased to 15 gigabytes in 2013. On May 13, 2013, Google announced the overall merge of storage across Gmail, Google Drive and Photos, allowing users 15 gigabytes of included storage among these services. While users get to receive emails up to 50 megabytes in size which also includes attachments and can send emails up to 25 megabytes.
Gmail has special tools for scanning emails serving multiple purposes and can also filter malware and spam and it also checks while adding context sensitive advertisement which are there next to emails. This publicizing practice has been altogether condemned by security advocates because of worries over limitless information maintenance, simplicity of checking by outsiders, clients of other email suppliers not having consented to the arrangement after sending messages to Gmail addresses, and the potential for Google to change its strategies to additional decline protection by consolidating data with other Google information utilization.
Now lets take a look at some interesting facts and statistics related to Gmail:
- Sundar Pichai, the CEO of Gmail thought it was a joke or an April fools prank on the day it was launched. It was also the same day when he interviewed for the company.
- Gmail owns 18% of the email service market share as of May 2021.
- When we take a look at the percentage share of the US email market, its 53% as of 2020.
- Gmail was declared as best webmail by Forbes Magazine in 2006.
- Handwriting input support was first added to Gmail in October 2013.
- It is the top ranking email client share provider with share of 27.8%.
- According to 2020 census, 319.6 billion emails are sent and delivered daily in 2020 which means almost 3.7 million emails per second.
- ML protects nearly or more than 10 M malicious and spam email every minute.
- 61% of 18-29 years old people use it.
Gmail has been serving us for years now and it has already been a most useful site. Every work in internet needs you to register to that site using an email account and Gmail is one of the most popular one among them.